Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée joins ASI – Aluminum Insider
The Aluminum Stewardship Initiative welcomed Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée to its membership this week, bringing the organization’s membership to 174.
CBG operates a bauxite mining project at Sangarédi in northwestern Guinea. It currently ships approximately 16 million metric tonnes of high-grade bauxite ore to third-party buyers around the world.
The company was founded in 1973 and is currently owned by two organizations – Halco (Mining) Inc. with a 51 percent share, and the Guinean government, which owns the remaining 49 percent. To date, the organization has contributed approximately US $ 5 billion to the Guinean economy and, since 2016, has invested nearly US $ 1 billion in its own modernization and expansion of its production capacity.
Souleymane Traoré, general manager of Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée, said in a press release that she is fully committed to environmental protection and resource management.
“As evidenced by its values and vision, the Compagnie des Bauxites de Guinée (CBG) attaches great importance to community issues, good governance and environmental protection. Therefore, supported by its shareholders, CBG has embarked on the process of certification of the performance standard of the Aluminum Stewardship Initiative (ASI).
“In addition to our ISO standards and IFC performance standards, ASI certification would allow us to consolidate our practices and our commitment to sustainable development,” he concluded.
ASI is a global organization dedicated to establishing industrial standards and certifications in the aluminum industry. The association tries to bring together the different actors of the aluminum industry in order to achieve objectives such as sustainable production methods, materials chain of custody procedures, recycling, social impacts linked to production. aluminum and production standards.