En + Group’s sustainability reporting packages that expand to new targets
Posted 28 minutes ago
Proposed by FR + Group
July 20, 2021 / CSRwire / – EN + GROUP, the world’s largest producer of low-carbon aluminum, today released its 2020 Sustainability Report. The report, which is available on our website at https://www.csrwire.com/press_releases/725691-en-group-sustainability-report-sets-stretching-new-targets, details achievements over the 12 months to December 31, 2021, tracks the progress of ongoing initiatives and programs, and sets our short-term sustainability goals and long-term ambitions.
In addition to reaffirming the En + group’s continued commitment to the continuous improvement of ESG performance, the report describes two major developments in the sector announced in early 2021: the development of the least carbonaceous aluminum in the world inert anode technologies; and the Company’s stated ambition to achieve zero net emissions by 2050.
Highlights for 2020 include:
- a total social investment of US $ 71 million that covered our 2020 response to the pandemic, including the delivery of food and life-saving supplies to 16,000 elderly and retired employees, the development of a 60-year COVID-19 hospital beds in Guinea and the construction of 7 COVID- 19 centers for communities in Russia;
- the continued progress of the New Energy Program which was launched in 2007 and which will allow large-scale modernization of our hydropower plants in Siberia. Although the investment in the program runs until 2046, its impact is immediate – it is expected to lead to an increase in our production of renewable energy by 2 billion kWh by 2022;
- become the first electricity producer and supplier in Russia to market I-RECs, each certificate representing one megawatt hour of electricity produced using our renewable energy sources. This underlines the company’s full focus on managing the global climate crisis and its commitment to transparency;
- significant progress in our EHS management system, 22% reduction of occupational diseases and promote the introduction of 13 new personal safety self-assessment programs;
- a note from the Carbon Disclosure Project of ‘A-” for the metals segment, a first for the aluminum industry, and positioning us as one of the 160 leading CDP companies out of more than 4,800 participants committed to reducing climate risks throughout the supply chain.
Other notable developments include:
- the establishment of 8 new ESG policies, emphasizing our commitment to the highest standards of corporate governance;
- an investment of USD 139,000 in a pilot project of charging stations for electric vehicles in Siberia; and,
- the introduction of an ecological pitch at the Krasnoyask foundry which will contribute to 60% reduction in benzoapyrene emissions in the years to come.
Lord Barker, Executive Chairman of the En + Group, said:
âI am proud of the clear and far-reaching ESG progress we made in 2020, especially given the extraordinarily difficult operating conditions created by the pandemic. However, that hasn’t stopped us from continuing to advance our ambitious sustainability mission and setting the stage for the two most important announcements we’ve ever made in our sustainability performance: our goals. leading edge in reducing greenhouse gas emissions, with a clear ambition to achieve net zero emissions by 2050; and the success of our next-generation inert anode electrolyzers, which allow us to produce the lowest carbon aluminum ever created.
As the world’s largest producer of low carbon aluminum, the commitments and achievements of the En + Group are fundamental to the transformation of the industry at large. We are determined to continue leading our industry towards a greener future and ultimately net zero. “
Vladimir Kiriukhin, CEO of En + Group, said:
âMuch has been written about the impact of the pandemic on families, communities and businesses around the world. Our 2020 sustainable development report details the En + group’s response to the challenges we have been faced with. I am proud of the company’s commitment to the health and well-being of its employees, past and present, and honored by the dedication of our employees around the world. Most notable,, has been the commitment shown by the workers at our hydroelectric plants and foundries, many of whom have volunteered to isolate themselves from family and friends, often for weeks on end, in order to maintain the constant supply of renewable energy that homes and businesses across Siberia rely on. Their selflessness at such a critical time was essential for millions of people. “
The report has been prepared in accordance with the Global Reporting Initiative (“GRI”) Sustainability reporting standards. It aims to ensure transparency on the company’s 2020 achievements and highlights areas for improvement. It includes in-depth disclosure of non-financial information relating to material ESG matters.
FR + Group
FR + Group
Fr + Group is the world’s leading vertically integrated producer of aluminum and electricity. The Company combines power plants with a total installed capacity of 19.6 GW (including 15.1 GW of hydroelectric assets) and 3.9 mt of annual aluminum production capacity (through a majority stake in RUSAL , the largest aluminum producer in the world excluding China in 2018) which is the largest consumer of hydroelectricity in the En + Group
More than FR + Group